Meeting with a terrific IBCLC (Lactation Consultant) in person can be a game-changing moment for a parent struggling with breastfeeding challenges. But what if there is no IBCLC in your area? Maybe you’ve had a less than helpful experience with your local lactation professional. Or perhaps you’re looking for a very specialized type of expertise. In all of these situations, a video conference may be perfect for you! With the advent of secure video conferencing platforms similar to Skype and Facetime, I can now see my clients and their babies from 1000’s of miles away!
Here’s what Dani had to say after a recent remote consultation with her and her baby who was refusing the breast:
“Renee was able to help our family tremendously even through cyberspace! She was very professional and respectful, I felt very comfortable– almost like she was in the same room with us. She also had great follow-up and support with our family. We were able to start exclusively nursing again after a several month break and other barriers in just a few days!”
If you like the idea of a remote consultation, here’s what you need know:
- Consultations need to be scheduled in advance. I can usually schedule w/in 24-48 hours of your request. Be sure to let me know your time zone when you request an appointment!
- I use a HIPAA-compliant platform so you don’t have to worry about privacy. There are no recordings made during your session.
- Once your consultation is scheduled you will receive an invitation via email. You’ll be asked to download a small file so you can use the platform and we can see each other. This process is simple and takes less than a minute.
- You will need to have high-speed internet to participate in a virtual consultation. A laptop, tablet or phone can be used as your camera. A helper to aim the camera can make things go smoothly.
- Good lighting is essential—especially if I need to look into the baby’s mouth. Have a flashlight handy just in case.
- If you’d like to bill your insurance company, you will be provided with a superbill and instructions for how to complete it.
- Consultations last about an hour. Follow ups can be scheduled as necessary.
- Payment for your consultation is made in advance through paypal. If you don’t have a paypal account we can make other arrangements for credit card payment over the phone.
- I will do my best to locate professionals in your area who can help support the plan we develop together.
If this sounds good to you, shoot me an email to schedule. I look forward to meeting you soon!
See also, “Virtual Consults, How do They Work?”